June 14th is Flag Day, Will you Display Your Flag?
Flag Day is June 14th and I would encourage you to celebrate this time-honored American tradition by
displaying Old Glory. Here are a list of dates when it is supposed to be the most appropriate time to fly your flag but I proudly fly my Flag everyday.
• New Year's Day, January 1
• Inauguration Day, January 20
• Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday, third Monday in January
• Lincoln's Birthday, February 12
• Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February
• Easter Sunday (variable)• Mother's Day, second Sunday in May
• Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May
• Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May
• Flag Day, June 14
• Independence Day, July 4
• Labor Day, first Monday in September
• Constitution Day, September 17
• Columbus Day, second Monday in October
• Navy Day, October 27
• Veterans Day, November 11
• Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November
• Christmas Day, December 25
Flag Day was first celebrated in 1877 – the centennial of the adoption of the Stars and Stripes as America's official flag. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation that called for the observance of Flag Day on June 14th, and that observance was made permanent by Congress in 1949.
This year, I hope all the members of my ActiveRain family will pay tribute to the men and women of our armed forces who are serving our country all over the globe by proudly showing our true colors of America on Flag Day. I bought a brand new flag to fly on my flagpole in my front yard as I do each year at this time.
Enjoy this link to the History of Flag Day, Celebrated June 14th, 2011