The Longest Tail. And I bet you thought I was talking about your Internet market positiioning.
So what about the Long Tail? I am talkiing about the lonest tail of any animal on the planet. And it is owned by the Giraffe.
The Male Giraffe can have a tail in excess of 8 feet. While that isn't a longtail, it is a very long tail.
Checkout these eyelashes and they are the real thing.
Here are some interesting facts about the Giraffe for the next time you encounter one.
- Giraffe have the same number of vertebrae in their neck as a human. It weighs about 600lbs.
- The pattern and coloration are actually for camouflage. ( Yep, sure looks like a tree to me )
- The Romans named the species cameleopards. Formal species name cameleopardalis. It was said to look like a camel and it was patterned after a leopard. Of all the photos I have seen of Rome, I never saw one giraffe. Maybe they were a secret service animal.
- The name Giraffe is actually derived from the Arabic word " Zirafah" meaning the tallest.
- There is only one species but there are 9 subspecies
- Both the male and female have horns called ossicones ( try to remember that word, ossicones) The female horns are shorter.
- The front and back legs are actually the same length
- The heart weighs about 25 lbs ( That's a lot of Heart, don't you think? )
- These creatures eat about 65 lbs of food a day and they eat most of the day. And they sleep on avg about 2 hours, typically for only about 10 minutes at a time. ( I guess it is hard to sleep if your eating)
- Their 18 inch tonge gets a lot of workout. ( It is very dark, almost black). Their tongues have a thick gooey slim coating on it to prevent it from being torn on acacia tree thorns)
- A giraffe is most vulnerable to other prey when it bends down, as it must do to drink water from a pond or river.
- Giraffes have only front teeth on the bottom. On the top is a hard pad. Think of it like a knife on a cutting board for chopping their food.
- A female will carry her offspring for 14 months. When born the baby falls to the ground. May not be the best entrance to the world but it works out ok for the giraffe.
- Giraffe while mostly quiet can hiss, roar,and did you ever hear one whistle? No Yankee Doodle Dandy of course but it does beat their singing.
- As Lenn Harley would say, "I am no expert" but these two guys above look like different sub-species to me. One was at Safari park and the other is from the San Diego Zoo. Notice the different coloration.