San Diego Real Estate Voice : How Important Is Staging to Todays Real Estate Market

How Important Is Staging to Todays Real Estate Market

How Important Is Staging to Todays Real Estate Market

Living Room after Staging

It is my strongest belief that staging a home makes all the difference in the San Diego Real Estate market place. In this property, I used most of the Sellers own furniture, rearranged for proper utilization of space and then accessorized to compliment the space. Before listing a property, I go through the property carefully looking for things that need attention like carpet cleaning, painting, removal of lots of sellers things that adds clutter and any repairs or replacements that need to be done.

After I get those issues resolved, it is time to shop to bring in the accents and lighting for bringing the new space plan to life. I provide this as a free service to all my listings and the homeowners only pay for the items they wish to keep as part of the staging. Once I have finished the staging, I do the photography and the property is then listed in the MLS.

I pay attention to both interior and exterior space in this process. Staging in and out really pays off as the market place has rewarded my sellers with fast sales usually at or near full asking price. The property above will be active tomorrow ( Valentines Day ) on the MLS.

Click On Photo Below If You Enjoy My Blog

Thank You !

Comment balloon 47 commentsWilliam Johnson • February 13 2013 04:57PM

Comments

Yes sir.... Home Staging is quiet important when listing a home.  Some have a vision ... others need a little help.

Posted by John McCormack, CRS, Honesty, Integrity, Results, Experienced. HIRE Me! (Albuquerque Homes Realty) almost 7 years ago

I clicked on your photo... cool way to subscribe to a blog... and I love the staging photo... We actually provide a consultation with a stager for everyone of our listings at no charge to the sellers... Unfortunately most don't listen to her advice...

Posted by Beth and Richard Witt, Long Island Cash Home Buyer 516-330-6940 (Long Island Cash Home Buyer) almost 7 years ago

Most clients need to know that staging can make all the difference in a sale. Prospective buyers want to see what the house could offer, and I think it helps them be able to envision how they would furnish and set up the house themselves.

Posted by Trisha Bush-LeFore, Providing Realtor Services in the Walla Walla Area (Preferred Properties Land & Homes) almost 7 years ago

Beautiful job! You have a real talent for both staging and photography. This property won't linger on the market.

Posted by Janelle Ancillotti, HSR Certified Home Stager, Syracuse, NY (Seneca Home Staging) almost 7 years ago

Hi John, Thank You so much for your kind words. I would love to show the before photo but because one of the Sellers could be seen in it, I felt it is inappropriate.

Posted by William Johnson, Retired Real Estate Professional (Retired) almost 7 years ago

Hi Richard and Beth,

I can well imagine how so many homeowners decline to go with the stagers. Since I do the labor of getting it staged, the only cost are items they could use in their new home once the current property is sold anyway. So far, so good, :-) Since I am the selling agent on the new home, if needed they get a little extra service to set it up correctly. What I love about it is, that my client list is full with some in a waiting.

Hi Trisha, I think in today's market, it is key to getting the sale and for top dollar. It really costs very little in the scheme of things to do it right.

Hi John,

Staging is essential when listing a property..it makes all the difference in the world! A picture is worth a thousand words (when done right).

Posted by Dorie Dillard CRS GRI ABR, Serving Buyers & Sellers in NW Austin Real Estate (Coldwell Banker United Realtors® ~ 512.750.6899) almost 7 years ago

Hi Janelle, Thank you very much for your nice compliment. I feel confident that once the property is  active tomorrow, it shouldn't be long. The Sellers have been well counseled and are ready to take the plunge. They have seen so wonderful to work with. Their smiles tell it all.

Hi Dorrie, This townhome is really wonderful. Every room has been staged to optimize the living space. The Sellers said they are very proud to show it off.

I think some sellers in today's market aren't feeling the need to stage as much as they would have a year or so ago, because we have less inventory. However, experience has shown that a home which is staged, or shows well, is far more likely to come in at full list price.  Many homebuyers are unable to divorce themselves from clutter, bad odors, and other unattractive traits to begin the process of visualizing themselves living there.  When I look at your photo above, I think, I could live there in a New York minute. . .No problem!

Posted by Myrl Jeffcoat, Greater Sacramento Real Estate Agent (GreatWest Realty) almost 7 years ago

Hi William, wow, you certainly have a great eye for not only staging but with your photos. Since online pictures are the first view of the home for many buyers, paying attention to detail sure does make a difference. Your sellers are lucky to have you as their agent!

Posted by Cindy Westfall, ABR,GRI Your Tualatin & Portland Metro Real Estate (Premiere Property Group,LLC Portland Metro & Suburbs Oregon) almost 7 years ago

William last year the properties  that sold were always well priced & well staged homes! Today I can tell you in  the Greater Los Angeles Market home sales are so hot that as soon as it hits the MLS there are two to ten offers depending on the price point... I agree  staging it is still a Viable Option for sellers to do especially if they want to get top dollar!

Posted by Endre Barath, Jr., Realtor - Los Angeles Home Sales 310.486.1002 (Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices) almost 7 years ago

William...that photo is so inviting!  I can't tell you how many homes I've been in that could have benefited from some good staging.

Posted by Christine Smith, Exclusive Buyer Agent & Attorney, Canton, MA (Buyers Brokers Only LLC - www.BuyersBrokersOnly.com) almost 7 years ago

William, I'm surprised that after seeing this wonderful job of staging that more sellers don't withdraw their listings and continue to live there!

Posted by Mona Gersky, GRI,IMSD-Taking the mystery out of real estate. (MoonDancer Realty, Dillsboro,NC) almost 7 years ago

How fortunate your sellers are when they hire you. You give so much value to the listing and you get them sold!!

Posted by Margaret Rome, Baltimore Maryland, Sell Your Home With Margaret Rome ( HomeRome Realty 410-530-2400) almost 7 years ago

William,

I agree with you 100 percent.  We had a client who did remodels and rehabs on buildings he bought.  He always did first class staging, and sold everything within hours...and it included the great outdoors.  Sheer genius to do great staging.  Your sellers are fortunate to have your keen eye.  A

Posted by Ron and Alexandra Seigel, Luxury Real Estate Branding, Marketing & Strategy (Napa Consultants) almost 7 years ago

I agree. Home staging is important in today's highly competitive real estate market.

Posted by Mike Warren (Real Estate) almost 7 years ago

I can see it being important on a property that will be on the market a longer time span than most of the properties that we run into in our area.  Right now we need more properties on the market.  People don't seem to care if they are staged or totally empty.  Just depends.

Posted by Rosemary Brooks, The Mother & Daughter Realty Team (BMC Real Estate - 209-910-3706) almost 7 years ago

I believe in it as well.  Makes a huge difference for sure.  Nice picture.

Posted by Paula McDonald, Granbury, TX 936-203-0279 (Beam & Branch Realty) almost 7 years ago

This is a wonderful example of effective staging.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Posted by Roy Kelley (Realty Group Referrals) almost 7 years ago

William - I believe staging is very important in ANY real estate market. This one should steal someones heart! ;)

Posted by Judy Jennings, Broker - The Lanterns at Warren Woods - Ashland MA (The Green Company) almost 7 years ago

Some homes need to be staged in order to sell. There are some buyers who just need someone to show them how to use the space in the home.

Posted by Randy Bocook, Selling Coastal Georgia (Keller Williams Coastal Area Partners) almost 7 years ago

William- you are multi-talented!  Yes Staging helps to paint the picture. to assist in the buyer being able to see the possibilities of the space.

Posted by Kathy Streib, Home Stager - Palm Beach County,FL -561-914-6224 (Room Service Home Staging) almost 7 years ago

I. AM. IMPRESSED.  wonderful job!

Posted by LISA BOND - BIRMINGHAM HOOVER HOME STAGER - (THE STAGEHAND HOME STAGING AND REDESIGN SERVICES) almost 7 years ago

William, you did the great job staging that listing.  I'm sure your clients are happy they hired you.

Posted by Lloyd Binen, Silicon Valley Realtor since 1976; 408-373-4411 (Certified Realty Services) almost 7 years ago

William, I agree! Putting a home in the best possible light will improve its chances of selling. Good job, it shouldn't be on the market long.

Posted by Michael Setunsky, Your Commercial Real Estate Link to Northern VA almost 7 years ago

It's true here in Charlotte too! People are very visual and respond to visual clues. No matter what and how much has changed in the real estate world in the 22 years I've been in it, this is one thing that has remained constant.

Posted by Nina Hollander, Your Charlotte/Ballantyne/Waxhaw/Fort Mill Realtor (Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage ) almost 7 years ago

Like you, William, I love helping sellers stage homes. It's so much more fun than stepping over piles of garbage and dead rats, trying not to catch my high heel on anything gross as I try to navigate through the house to shoot photographs, in places where I feel grateful if they simply show enough care to make the bed or remove dirty dishes from the sink.

Posted by Elizabeth Weintraub Sacramento Realtor Top 1%, Put 40 years of experience to work for you (RE/MAX Gold) almost 7 years ago

William this photo and your accents are fantastic!  No wonder you have a waiting list of clients!!  Great testimonial to the power of home staging :-)

Posted by Maureen Bray Portland OR Home Stager ~ Room Solutions Staging, "Staging that Sells Portland Homes" (Room Solutions Staging, Portland OR) almost 7 years ago

William,

I'm very impressed.  I've known that clients get an extraordinarily good photographer when they hire you.  I didn't realize they were also getting someone that offers quality staging services.   Sellers in San Diego should call you if they are serious about selling their home.

Thanks for sharing your methodology.

Posted by Sondra Meyer:, See It. Experience It. Live It. (Star View Real Estate ) almost 7 years ago
Staging is a critical component in marketing a home. With limited inventories, agents and sellers don't feel the need to take the time to properly stage the property. "Why bother when we're going to get multiple offers anyway?" I believe you should always do your best for your client regardless of the amount of time the property will be available.
Posted by Catherine C Capasso, Cottage or Castle, What's Your Dream! (Catherine Cornelia Real Estate) almost 7 years ago

Very good example room in your photo. I need to start doing some more of this for myself! THANKS for the prompt!

Posted by Travis "the SOLD man" Parker; Associate Broker, email: Travis@theSOLDman.me / cell: 334-494-7846 (iXL Real Estate-Wiregrasss\) almost 7 years ago

I think staging is going to get more important.  People no longer want fixer uppers.  They want a home ready to go.

Posted by Gene Riemenschneider, Turning Houses into Homes (Home Point Real Estate) almost 7 years ago

Hi William, we think it also depends on price point.  Here in Ocala, where median is ~$90k abd 17% are distressed, there is not much staging.

Posted by Bob Miller, The Ocala Dream Team (Keller Williams Cornerstone Realty) almost 7 years ago

Staging is one of the most important facets of the sale. I wish more people understood it's value.

Posted by Lyn Sims, Schaumburg IL Real Estate (RE/MAX Suburban) almost 7 years ago

Unfortunately, no one here wants to pay for staging so we do our best to stage the property ourselves before it goes on the market. Every little bit helps. I agree with Lyn above, we wish everyone understood its value! Great job on that listing!

Posted by Pat & Wayne Harriman, Broker/Owners, Wallingford CT Real Estate (Harriman Real Estate, LLC (203) 672-4499) almost 7 years ago

It's so essential, especially when the seller is asking for a higher price than the comparable sales in the market because to close you must have every positive advantage working to persuade and convert, don't you?

Posted by Kimo Jarrett, Pro Lifestyle Solutions (WikiWiki Realty) almost 7 years ago

I think staging is worth absolutely every penny, William!  I use my stager to consult on every single listing, and it really makes a big difference.  Great post :)

Posted by Jennifer Prestwich, Madison & Co Properties (Henderson, Thornton, Broomfield and Westminster) almost 7 years ago

It is amazing what staging can do to make a home look fantastic.

Posted by Rob Arnold, Metro Orlando Full Service - Investor Friendly & F (Sand Dollar Realty Group, Inc.) almost 7 years ago

I am so impressed that you can stage homes as well as sell them!  I bring in a stager for every listing, at my own expense.  She worries about offending the sellers, but I find they're desperate for help and usually more than willing to follow her suggestions.

Posted by Dianne Goode, Realtor/Broker (Raleigh Cary Realty) almost 7 years ago

I agree.  The homes which are staged and are clutter free, the Bueyrs can see their own furniture and furnishings in that and get an idea of placing the furniture.

I do the same and my sellers have all complimented me once we have staged their home and some of them didn't even sell the house as they loved the way we staged it.

Posted by Maya Garg * ASP/ASA/ABR/CNE/, Moving you Forward.... Buyers, Sellers, Investors (Royal Lepage Signature Realty,Mississauga, Ontario) almost 7 years ago

What do you do with the items they don't want to buy? Re-use them elsewhere? Certainly you can't return pillows that have probably been "used"?

The room looks great! And I'm encouraged to "hear" that more Realtors are using stagers. I'm sure I'm biased, but I think staging can make or break a deal. When buyers look at two comparable houses, one staged and one not, they'll go for the staged one every time. It's a no-brainer.

Just a side note: I have been doing "life-style" staging recently, and those houses are usually selling in under a month. I can't control the pricing, so sometimes a too-high price interferes with a quick sale, or a flawed house that the seller refuses to fix after the inspection (two such houses sold in 5 days, but the deals fell through when the seller refused to fix the problem), but other than that, they go. I staged a partially-furnished house on Dec. 3--had to add LR and breakfast nook furniture and fill in with bar stools, a den chair, etc., and it got an offer on Dec. 23--two days before Christmas! Staging, properly done, works.

Posted by Mary Abella, creating magic on a regular basis. (a little bit of red Interior RE-design LLC) over 6 years ago
The staged room looks marvelous! What's there not to like? The staged home that stands out is going to be the sold home. Let us know how quick it sells.
Posted by Beverly Carlson, Abilene's Staging Realtor (Carlson Properties 325-721-2429) over 6 years ago

William, this living area is flawless.  It makes me feel like I could curl up on the sofa with a good book.  Your clients are fortunate to be working with you!

Posted by Sharon Parisi, Dallas Homes (United Real Estate Dallas ) over 6 years ago

I've got to admit I've not used a stager for my listings.  On several homes I tried to convince the seller to have a stager come in and make suggestions.  They didn't wan't to pay for a stager so I haven't used one.  I have a listing coming at the end of the month and will press sellers to let me stage it.  I'll pay for the stager and then I'll have some examples to show other sellers.

Posted by Tom Esposito (Alpharetta Home Solutions) over 6 years ago

Good morning, William Johnson "the eye buys" and every home must be staged....it's expected today....

Posted by Barbara Todaro, Marketing Agent for The Todaro Team (RE/MAX Executive Realty ) over 1 year ago

This blog does not allow anonymous comments