San Diego Real Estate Voice : What Do Seller's Need to Know About The Selling Process

What Do Seller's Need to Know About The Selling Process

Sign the paperwork, take some photos, put the sign up and everything else will take care of itself. Right? Absolutely NOT.

There is a process and it must be considered carefully and actions taken for a smooth sale. The process I am referring to is the reality of selling and what needs to happen and what to expect.

90% of the Best Marketing plan is the price. Price it wrong and everything else you do will have little effect in getting the proper offer on the home. Yes of course offers can and will be negotiated but if the property is grossly overpriced , if you get an offer at all , there is a strong likelihood that it will be a low ball offer. Most every home is unique and when I suggest to you the right price to get the best offer, don't over think it. With over 25 years experience, I can pretty much tell you what it is going to sell for. I want to keep the asking price and offering price very close to each other. That most always spells success.

When the Sign is out, there is always the possibility that someone will come to the door and ask to see the home. The way to respond is to have my cards ready and hand them one and say " this is the REALTOR® that is handling my property. You can call agent and make an appointment. Never, Never Never let a stranger into the home.

When a agent has set an appointment to show your home, it is imperative that you leave the property and allow the agent and their client to view the property on their own. They don't need your explanation of what you think are the homes strong points. The Buyer will have their criteria that they are looking for and if your home fits that criteria, the Buyer will likely make an offer as they will have located the home they want to call their own.

Selling a home is an abnormal situation to your normal routine. Thinking of your home as a stage in a theater will better help you understand the importance of properly staging the home. It is not just the Kitchen and baths they are looking at. They want to see the optimal use of space and to do otherwise does not show the home in it's best light. I will go through your home and help you get those details right. Then it is your job to make sure every showing sees the home at it's best. I will show you some tricks to keep that staged look and still be able to live there while the property is on the market.

Here are some tips that always make for the best response to the showings. Leave the lights on. The higher electric bill is worth it. Make sure the temperature is neither too hot or too cold. Set the temp at about 74 degrees and the home will feel comfortable for showing. Open the blinds and the draperies. Make sure the windows sparkle. If you can spare the room in the refrigerator, put some bottled water in there and invite the agent and Buyer to help themselves. Buyers may have to use the restroom so make it a pleasant experience with fresh towels and tissue that they can use. If you have a pet in the home, define it's space and make sure that the pet is not interfering with the showing. The natural instinct otherwise is that people will respond to the pet and we all know cats can scratch and dogs can bark and jump. Save the pet sharing for friends and family and not those that are considering your home as the one they are looking for.

PS, Be sure to put your trust in the agent you selected and be a team player with them. Working together to get the property sold can sometimes be a challenge but it can also be exhilarating when you are successful. If I take your listing, you can be 100% sure that it is going to sell for the highest and best price and you will have the best experience in doing so.

Click On Photo Below If You Enjoy My Blog

Thank You !

Comment balloon 47 commentsWilliam Johnson • June 08 2016 08:07PM

Comments

I definitely agree that pricing is the key and most overlooked part of this process. Great post.

Posted by Peter Mohylsky, Bucket List, Do you have a bucket list in the works? (Gulf Place @ 30A) over 2 years ago

Hi Peter Mohylsky , Thank You for your generous comment. It seems when the price is right, everything else goes pretty smooth.

Posted by William Johnson, San Diego Real Estate Voice, GRI CRS e-Pro CDPE (RE/MAX Associates) over 2 years ago

marti garaughty, abstract art, graphic design, marketing, WordPress consultant

Posted by marti garaughty, a highly caffeinated creative type... (garaughty.com) over 2 years ago

William,

I agree pricing is extemely important.   The seller should let the realtor set the price based on comparables in the market area.    Some sellers tend to place an emotional value  on their home, which can conflict with what the realtor wants to list the property for.

Great blog.  Congratulations on the feature!

Posted by Dinah Stallworth-Lewis, NATCHITOCHES, LA HOMES FOR SALE (Priority Real Estate LLC - 800.978.4847) over 2 years ago

William, good reminder and advice on pricing. Congratulations on your feature post and look forward to seeing more of your beautiful photos of San Diego in future posts!

Posted by Susan Laxson CRS, Local Knowledge & Global Network (HomeSmart International) over 2 years ago

William, have you sometimes said no to taking a listing that you know was overpriced? The setting spells failure and I have walked from some of these, after lessons learned and inevitably they don't look to themselves and say, "we were wrong", they DO tend to throw the listing agent under the bus.

Posted by Gayle Rich-Boxman Fishhawk Lake Real Estate, "Your Local Expert!" 503-755-2905 (John L Scott Market Center) over 2 years ago

Hi Gayle Rich-Boxman Fishhawk Lake Realtor (503)755-2905 , So far, knock on wood, my Seller's listen to me. I work my b--- off and the clients I get know I leave no stone unturned and will do and spend whatever it takes to guarantee success. I have a reputation among my peers that my listings look the best and sell for top dollar. And I help care for them while on the market. I had a neighbor come by when I was leaving a listing that was vacant and that my efforts don't go unnoticed.

But even better , when the Buyers do their contractors inspection, they are not going to find much if anything that has not already been addressed. I want everyone, Sellers, agents and most of all the Buyers to love their new home and have confidence in their choice. The neighbors always suggest that whenever a sale is going to come up, that they call me. So generally I never even have competition since I come highly recommended.

Pardon me for my own horn blowing Gayle. How are you, BTW? What's new in your life? Hope business has been just wonderful for you.

Hi Susan Laxson , I added a photo post just because you asked. Thank you for your great comment.

Hi Dinah Stallworth , I have a solution for that and it is in the counseling. Emotion Semotion, if they love it so much, don't sell it. Otherwise, lets get on with the best strategy to get it on the market and brought to a speedy close. It is called moving on and leave the driving to us.

Hi marti garaughty , gosh it sure have been a long time. Hope life has been treating you well and that you are thriving with your very rich and remarkable talent.

William,

LOL ... I totally agree and there are less bumps in the road!!

Pun intended.

William- I'm so glad this was featured. All seller need this list, especially not to let anyone in the house without an appointment.

Posted by Kathy Streib, Home Stager - Palm Beach County,FL -561-914-6224 (Room Service Home Staging) over 2 years ago

Excellent advice. I agree with every word. Leaving the lights on does not cost much but it makes a good impression. I would add to open the blinds and keep the bedroom doors open, especially in my area.

Posted by Pat Starnes-Front Gate Realty, 601-991-2900 Office; 601-278-4513 Cell (Front Gate Real Estate) over 2 years ago

I feel the same way, at times.  Why'd did you select me at your agent if you're not going to heed my advice?  It's simple things that we know, from years of experience, either work or help!

Posted by Carla Muss-Jacobs, RETIRED (RETIRED / State License is Inactive) over 2 years ago

Sellers like to be informed of the entire process from start to finish.

Posted by Harry F. D'Elia, Investor , Mentor, GRI, Radio, CIPS, REOs, ABR (Real Estate and Beyond, LLC) over 2 years ago

In my market, I have not been doing signs lately, it has been a beacon to theft.

Posted by David Alan Baker Laveen & South Phoenix Realtor, Your local Expert (Keller Williams Realty Phoenix) over 2 years ago

For me, one of the biggest issues that needs to be discussed is pets - where they will be during showings and how to deal with the odors!

Posted by Shanna Day Team Leader (UT & AZ), Keller Williams Realty (Keller Williams SLC (UT) and Keller Williams Realty EV (AZ)) over 2 years ago

Very comprehensive post! you have certainly covered all the bases...this would be a good training lesson for newbies too!

On another note... I have always enjoyed your photography!

Posted by Debra Leisek ( Bay Realty,Inc Homer Alaska) over 2 years ago

Nice post! Very informative and helpful.

Posted by Garreth Wilcock, Homes at Mueller (Sherlock Homes Austin) over 2 years ago

William, sellers still think that in an escalating market to price higher...than you recommend...it really does not matter what one paid for it.  It is all about what is the current market price...good post for all!

Posted by Ginny Gorman, Homes for Sale in North Kingstown RI and beyond (RI Real Estate Services ~ 401-529-7849~ RI Waterfront Real Estate) over 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!!

Be sure to put your trust in the agent you selected and be a team player with them. Working together to get the property sold can sometimes be a challenge but it can also be exhilarating when you are successful. If I take your listing,

Posted by Sham Reddy, CRS (H E R Realty, Dayton, OH) over 2 years ago

Excellent post, William Johnson . Sellers should partner with the agent they choose to get the job done and have a good experience doing so.
Thanks for sharing,
Bruce

Posted by Bruce Kunz, REALTOR®, Brick & Howell NJ Homes for Sale (C21 Solid Gold Realty, Brick, NJ, 732-920-2100) over 2 years ago

Such a great post! The word process is perfect. We move from step to step to get it sold. Like you said, trust is so important between agent and seller but sometimes, we meet sellers who don't trust or who start to trust much later in the process. You can feel it when the vibe finally changes.

Posted by Jill Sackler, LI South Shore Real Estate - Broker Associate (Charles Rutenberg Realty Inc. 516-575-7500) over 2 years ago

What a great post, Wiliam!  If the points you have made in this article are taken to heart, the property should sell.  Thank you for the reminders!

Posted by Michael Scruggs, ABR, CNE, TAHS (UTR Texas-Realtors) over 2 years ago

Congratulations on your feature recognition. This is wonderful information to share.

Posted by Roy Kelley (Realty Group Referrals) over 2 years ago

Trust is HUGE in any relationship....and the "yes buts...my house is...." don't cut it ...except to cut the price lower than it would have been originally.

Posted by Sally K. & David L. Hanson, WI Realtors - Luxury - Divorce (EXP Realty 414-525-0563) over 2 years ago

Here we get to sample the William Johnson way...A Real Estate specialist

Posted by Richie Alan Naggar, agent & author (people first...then business Ran Right Realty ) over 2 years ago

Selling a home is a team effort.  Having a discussion with the seller(s) at the outset regarding expectations and responsibilities is essential.

Posted by Brian Schulman, Lancaster County PA RealEstate Expert 717-951-5552 (Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, Lancaster PA) over 2 years ago

Straight to the bottom line William Johnson "90% of the Best Marketing plan is the price. Price it wrong and everything else you do will have little effect in getting the proper offer on the home." And we can all help our sellers by refusing to take over-priced listings!

Right on target and re-blog!

Posted by Tony and Suzanne Marriott, Associate Brokers, Serving Scottsdale, Phoenix and Maricopa County AZ (BVO Luxury Group @ Keller Williams Arizona Realty) over 2 years ago

Yes, this is a great post for sellers to read - keeping the house comfortable, clean and pet-free equals productive showings.

Posted by Kat Palmiotti, The House Kat (Grand Lux Realty, Monroe NY, 914-419-0270, kat@thehousekat.com) over 2 years ago

Good morning William Johnson ,

So glad to see this post featured! Excellent summary of what a seller needs to know about the selling process! Price it right and make it shine!!

Posted by Dorie Dillard CRS GRI ABR, Serving Buyers & Sellers in NW Austin Real Estate (Coldwell Banker United Realtors® ~ 512.750.6899) over 2 years ago

Good advice! Most sellers haven't sold a home recently... or ever. They rely on their agent for advice on what to expect.  You're right on target with everything you mentioned.

Posted by Margaret Woda, Maryland Real Estate & Military Relocation (Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.) over 2 years ago

All good advice William Johnson - I had one client, despite the instructions to have agents call me when they knocked on the door, let them in anyway. She was just too nice and accommodating.  That can get a seller into some real trouble!

Posted by Kathleen Daniels, San Jose Homes for Sale-Probate & Trust Specialist (KD Realty - 408.972.1822) over 2 years ago

William

This is excellent! I think many sellers just don't understand a lot of what goes into making a home sell successfully. And they aren't prepared for keeping their home show ready and perhaps being inundated with showings.

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Dowler, CRS, The Southern California Relocation Dude (Solutions Real Estate ) over 2 years ago

William, Since you are the one that "invited" me to AR I was really mystified to find that I wasn't "following" you. That has been recified.

And you are absolutely right, the price is 90% of "How to sell a house."

Good post.

Bill Roberts

Posted by Bill Roberts, "Baby Boomer" Retirement Planner (Brooks and Dunphy Real Estate) over 2 years ago

Those are all superb tips, William!  I also agree that price is a paramount consideration when listing a home for sale!

Posted by Myrl Jeffcoat, Greater Sacramento Real Estate Agent (GreatWest Realty) over 2 years ago

Hi William, well deserved feature on a great post. If the home is not priced right, no amount of marketing would make a difference. Many sellers, especially if it's their first time don't really understand what it takes for a listing agent to market the home, it's up to us to educate our sellers.

Posted by Beth Atalay, Cam Realty of Clermont FL (Cam Realty and Property Management) over 2 years ago

You 'spelt out the procees' well.  I agree with the points you made, in this post.

Thank you for sharing.

Posted by Rosalind Nicholas, Toronto Condo Real Estate Agent, Toronto ON (RE/MAX Condos Plus Corporation, Brokerage) over 2 years ago

(858) 487-6975 William JohnsonReal Estate Agent with RE/MAX Associates in San Diego, CA.

Posted by Will Nesbitt, Nesbitt Realty is a family-run brokerage. (Nesbitt Realty at Condo Alexandria) over 2 years ago

Very informative post, William Johnson.  You stopped with everything the Sellers need to know while the property is listed.  There is a lot more work for the Sellers to do once there is a contract.

Posted by John Mosier, Prescott's Patriot Agent 928 533-8142 (Realty ONE Group Mountain Desert) over 2 years ago

Great information and as always, you hit the nail on the head

"Remember, Price it right, make it shine and you will be one of the successful home Sellers."

Posted by Joan Whitebook, Consumer Focused Real Estate Services (BHG The Masiello Group) over 2 years ago

William Johnson - Price is 90% of the best marketing plan! Wow!

And of course, rest is also equally important - keeping house clean and available for showing!

Posted by Praful Thakkar, Andover, MA: Andover Luxury Homes For Sale (LAER Realty Partners) over 2 years ago

Congratulations on the feature William Johnson and thanks for sharing this valuable information

Posted by Jennifer Mackay, Your Bay County Florida Realtor 850.774.6582 (Counts Real Estate Group, Inc.) over 2 years ago

This is a great post.  Many sellers need to be shown how to sell their home, even if they have done it before, buyers' expectations have changed.  Thank you for sharing.

Posted by Karen Feltman, Relocation Specialist in Cedar Rapids, Iowa (Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, IA KW Legacy Group) over 2 years ago

I will also add that a Seller should know their Estimated Net Proceeds. No use surprising them at the end or when an Offer is presented.

Posted by April Swenson, CRS and Managing Broker - Ocean Shores Real Estate (Coldwell Banker Ocean Shores Brokers) over 2 years ago

I hope home  sellers in your area will read this post and call you.

Posted by Gita Bantwal, REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel (RE/MAX Centre Realtors) over 2 years ago

Simple and Effective Ideas well communicated.

Posted by Clark Niblock, Alamo City focused. National and Global connected. (RESupermen at Niblock Co. Realtors) over 2 years ago

This blog does not allow anonymous comments